Fort Churchill, Nevada

January 19, 2015 at 8:45 am (History, Landscape Photography, Leah McDaniel Photography, Photography) (, , , , , , , , , )

For a short time, Fort Churchill, a U. S. Army fort in the Nevada desert, stood bastion against raids and attacks by the local Native American nations, and served to safeguard the Pony Express, which ran through the area and had a mail stop at nearby Buckland Station.

Fort-Churchill-011-black-and-white-WEB

Named in honor of Sylvester Churchill, the Inspector General of the U.S. Army, it was built as a permanent installation in 1860 only to be abandoned 9 years later.  In it’s short life, Fort Churchill became an important supply depot for the Nevada Military District and as a base for troops patrolling the overland routes during the Civil War.

Fort Churchill Ruins

Today, the adobe ruins stand bastion in the desert, sentinels in the harsh, Nevada landscape.

Permalink 3 Comments

« Previous page · Next page »

%d bloggers like this: